INEOS Styrolution helps Seoyon E-Hwa bring brilliance to the front grill of Hyundai’s new Kia K5
- Seoyon E-Hwa selects INEOS Styrolution Luran® S 778T (ASA) for its dimensional stability and lasting premium appearance
- Complements of its excellent adhesive properties, the polymer is an ideal substrate for hot stamp foils over intricate structures
INEOS Styrolution, the world leader in styrenics, has been selected by Seoyon E-Hwa as the thermoplastic supplier for the front grill on Hyundai’s new Kia K5, JFc model. Seoyon E-Hwa, a leading Tier 1 automotive molder headquartered in Korea, manufactures the front grills for Hyundai motor group (Dongfeng Yueda Kia) using one of INEOS Styrolution’s specialty styrenic grades, Luran S 778T. Offering customer’s design flexibility and lasting premium aesthetic value, this Luran S grade’s excellent adhesion properties also make it an ideal substrate for decorative foils, such as those produced by KURZ*.
- Seoyon E-Hwa selects INEOS Styrolution Luran S 778T (ASA) for its dimensional stability and lasting premium high-gloss appearance: Hyundai motor group tasked Seoyon E-Hwa to build a front grill for the new K5, JFc model. The grill design is unique for Hyundai motor group, in that it possesses an intricate diamond-like appearance. Working in collaborative innovation, INEOS Styrolution helped Seoyon E-Hwa identify the right styrenic polymer that would offer the aesthetic and performance properties Hyundai motor group was looking for as the structural material of the grill and substrate for the hot stamp foil from KURZ.
The distinctive design of Hyundai’s front grill is made possible by the strong dimensional stability and premium, high-gloss appearance of the acrylonitrile styrene acrylate (ASA) grade, Luran S 778T. The polymer’s moisture resistance further helps boost the grill’s performance in adverse weather conditions, such as rain and snow. Further benefits of Luran S 778T for car manufacturers are the ability to eliminate the need for paint by offering a luxurious, high-gloss finish for car exterior trims and housings, while a UV stabilization package ensures a superior level of gloss and color retention even after years of sun and weather exposure. The polymer’s deep black color not only enhances the grill’s premium look but also offers sustainability and cost advantages in that eliminates the need for paint.
- Complementing its excellent adhesive properties, the polymer is an ideal substrate for hot stamp foils over intricate structures: Luran S 778T also offers a stable surface for precision foil application and adhesion. This made it possible to employ the use of a hot stamp foil produced by the decorative foil manufacturer KURZ. Unlike chrome plating, the use of hot stamp foil eliminates the need to mask the entire grill. Without the adhesive surface property of the ASA substrate, it would have been impossible to precision apply the foil to achieve the desired brilliant appearance.
* The KURZ Group is a global leader in hot stamping and coating technology. KURZ develops and manufactures decorative and functional layers applied to carrier foils, stamping tools and machines for a large variety of applications for different industries.
Engineering Development Team, Seoyon E-Hwa: “As a supplier to one of Asia’s most iconic automotive brands, it is imperative we have material suppliers we can partner with to provide the right solutions for our customers. Seoyon E-Hwa has that kind of partnership with INEOS Styrolution.”SungBeom Park, Asia Pacific Lead, Automotive, INEOS Styrolution: “Our team serving the automotive industry prides itself in working closely with customers to identify and develop the right solution for their application needs. We are very pleased that Hyundai and Seoyon E-Hwa have selected INEOS Styrolution for their front grill application.”