INEOS Styrolution’s Novodur® Ultra 4255 is well received by the automotive industry as material of choice for interior applications
- Optimised combination of properties for interior automotive applications
- Numerous automotive manufacturers take advantage of Novodur® Ultra 4255
- Success is based on close cooperation with customers and partners
INEOS Styrolution, the global leader in styrenics, announces that its new Novodur® Ultra 4255 gains significant momentum in the automotive industry. The material, an ABS copolymer blended with polycarbonate, combines all the necessary properties to meet the needs of most demanding interior automotive applications.
Since its introduction at the K show in 2016, Novodur Ultra 4255 has been selected by key customers. The material convinces with its combination of high impact strength at room as well as low temperatures, low temperature ductility (100% ductility at -30 °C), high heat resistance and low emission. In addition, best in class flowability properties ensure easy processing.
“Novodur Ultra 4255 was developed in cooperation with our automotive customers and partners, following their requirements; therefore we were confident from the very beginning that the new material was set up for success. And, when we saw the results of the various product tests, we were convinced that we had a winner,” remembers Christophe Ginss, Sales Director Automotive EMEA with global coordination role.
Three application examples demonstrate the versatility of Novodur Ultra 4255:
- An iconic automotive manufacturer tested Novodur Ultra 4255 for manufacturing a glove box door. Drivers for the decision were high impact strength, high heat resistance, scratch resistance and low emission. The manufacturer also benefited from the flowability and the related cost advantages for this application. The tests turned out to be very successful. They immediately triggered the idea to use the material not just for glove box doors, but a number of applications in the next generation of vehicles.
- A leading component supplier for car manufacturers was faced with the challenge to develop instrument panel clusters. The IP clusters were designed based on a well thought-through concept based on INEOS Styrolution’s materials. Especially, the stability of the components at high temperatures and the emission level were significantly better than the defined thresholds. Novodur Ultra 4255 contributed well to the overall solution and showed its strength in interior applications.
- Another supplier of a leading globally recognised automotive brand selected Novodur Ultra 4255 as the material for seat belt pillars in a new line of vans. Decision criteria included heat resistance, impact strength, colouring and processability. Since the application addresses an area of safety, INEOS Styrolution supported the customer with so-called crash cards to enable the execution of crash test simulations.Ginss concludes: "The success of Novodur Ultra 4255 confirms our approach to work closely with our customers during the design and development phase of new products. We are excited to cooperate and to help our customers with best in class solutions.